The Literacy Volunteers of the Montachusett Area Board of Directors is an entity which governs the affairs of Literacy Volunteers of the Montachusett Area, a private, nonprofit organization that provides free, private, individualized, and confidential tutoring in basic reading, writing, and English to adult Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL.) Board officers and members are elected at the Annual Meeting.
- Responsible for long-range and strategic planning, resource development, financial oversight, policy development, maintaining legal affairs, and board development.
- Active participation is the highest priority. Must attend at least two-thirds of the monthly Board meetings. Attendance at special events such as the annual meeting, fundraising or recognition events is also expected.
- Participate in at least one committee (executive, nominating, board development, fundraising and publicity.)
- Within financial means, make an annual financial contribution to the organization.
- Committed, enthusiastic, and willing to participate in the development and growth of the organization.
- Ability to work as part of the team and with a diverse group of tutors and students.
- Interest in adult literacy, and sensitivity to students and volunteers.
- Ability to provide expertise in at least one area needed by the organization, e.g. public relations, fund-raising, financial management, electronic media management.
Please apply by sending an informal letter addressing your interest in literacy and citizenship, what drew you to our organization, and what skills and experience would you hope to contribute to the Board, along with your current resume to the Program Coordinator by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
or mail: P. O. Box 7197, Fitchburg, MA 01420.